Strategies for Effective Communication
Strategies for Effective Communication Slides by Trish Kritek, MD, EdM and Anne Browning, PhD
Creating High Performing Teams
Working Through Conflict
Private: WSHA (Washington State Hospital Association) 2020 LEAD Academy
Spring 2020 LEAD Academy sessions in Mount Vernon and Moses Lake are currently open. This program is offered 1 day per month for 6 months in Mt. Vernon and Moses Lake and the cost is $1,975 per person.
In healthcare, as in other industries, people promoted to management positions are typically technically proficient, but often lack management experience or training. This popular, comprehensive, and highly interactive, cohort-based program is taught by an executive coach and runs one day a month for six months. It provides a safe environment to learn and practice new skills while learning how to align work goals to support the broader vision of your organization. Designed for health care supervisors and managers, LEAD is built on the underlying principle that effective leadership requires productive relationships to support excellence in patient care, sustainable business objectives and a safe patient environment.
- Improve the performance of the people and groups that report to them
- Enhance their contribution to the achievement of facility and System objectives
- Increase their own self management skills during everyday and stressful situations
- Balance strategic focus, operating objectives and interpersonal relationships
- Target and identify opportunities for innovation and change
- Manage and inspire the performance of their employees
- Assess personal strengths and limitations to engage in continuous self-improvement
Organizational Development and Leadership
Courses include the extraordinary leader and other skills for those taking management and leadership roles
POD (Professional and Organizational Development)
POD offers a variety of classes, webinars, and programs designed to support adult learners in building knowledge, skills, and abilities
UW HR Consulting Alliance
UW Consulting Alliance is a small team of trainers, consultants, and administrative professionals whose mission is to foster positive change in individuals and organizations at UW. They partner with organizations across the University by providing training, coaching, and consulting to leaders, staff, and faculty.
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The University of Washington is an institutional member of the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD). As a member, you have on-demand access to the mentoring, tools, and support you need to thrive in academia. Resources are for everyone from graduate students to mid-career faculty to administrators.
You can sign up for weekly email updates or join as a member to access all of the tools and resources for free. Learn more here.
Time Management and Organization
Several resources below provide insights and tools to improve productivity and organization so you can work effectively and creatively.
- Productivity and the 2-Career Household Slides
- The Art of Productivity: A Radiologist’s Primer for Getting Stuff Done
- The Psychology of Creativity
- Deep Work
- Productivity Part 1: Getting Things Done, Using E-Mail, Scanners, Reference Managers, Note-taking Applications, and Text Expanders
- Productivity Part 2: Cloud Storage, Remote Meeting Tools, Screencasting, Speech Recognition Software, Password Managers, and Online Data Backup
Conflict Management for Program Directors
This article provides a practical approach to conflict management for residency and/or fellowship program directors.
Teaching Conflict Resolution in Medicine
This article discusses lessons from business, diplomacy, and theatre in teaching conflict resolution in medicine, from the MedEd Portal.
From the Harvard Business Review, this piece provides information on how to create culture change that sticks.
AAMC Early Career Women Faculty Leadership Development Seminar
Each year, the Dean's Committee on Women in Medicine and Science sponsors two early career women faculty members to attend this program
AAMC Mid-Career Women Faculty Leadership Development Seminar
Each year, the Dean's Committee on Women in Medicine and Science sponsors one mid-career woman faculty member to attend this program
AAMC Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Certificate Program
This application-based certificate program cultivates leaders in academic medicine through evidence-based, collaborative learning and reflective practice